How to apply for your South African drivers license and how much it costs
What you need to do
**Please note that you need a learners license first before you can apply for a drivers license.
- Go to your nearest driving licencing centre or (DLTC) to book a test date. You will need to take the following with you:
- your learner’s licence.
- your green bar-coded identity document (ID) or your new smart ID card.
- four identical black-and-white photographs. You can take ID photos either at a Photo First in most malls, a Kodak store in most malls or sometimes you will find those dodgy guys outside the licensing department taking photos. I would go for the mall option personally.
- proof of postal and residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the of the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- if you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address
- a booking fee.
- Complete the notification of change of address or particulars of the person or organisation (NCP) form.
- Complete the Application for driving licence form (DL1) at the DLTC.
- Keep the receipt as proof of payment and as confirmation of the test date and time.
- On the date of the test, you must be at the DLTC at the specified testing time. Your receipt and learner’s licence will be verified before you proceed to the test.
- You will be assessed by a qualified examiner.
- If you pass the test, your fingerprints will be taken and you will undergo an eye test at the DLTC. Alternatively, you may have an eye test performed by a qualified optometrist and submit the form at the DLTC.
- If you pass the driving test, you must pay the issuing fee to receive a temporary driving licence, which you will use while you wait for the ordered driving licence card.
- You will be notified when your driving licence card is ready for collection. You must collect your driving licence at the DLTC where you made your application.
How much does a drivers license cost?
To make a drivers license booking for a code B license will cost +/- R225 (July 2016)
How long does it take to get your drivers license?
I’m not sure at this time but I will find out. If anyone knows, please comment below.
Which forms do I need to fill in to apply for my driver’s license?
Please comment here if you have any missing or current info.