How to sell your car in South Africa

What you need when selling a car or motorbike privately in South Africa that’s paid off and not financed


I recently had to sell my scooter and haven’t sold a vehicle privately in a long time. I could not remember all the forms I needed and what to write on the sales agreement.

So I did some research on all the information and documents needed to sell a vehicle.

NB! Please bear in mind that these instructions are for vehicles that has been paid off and is not financed. Another article on that will follow soon.

When selling your car or motorbike, there will always be documentation and procedures involved like ownership documentation, a sales agreement, change of ownership documentation etc.

Here’s a checklist before putting your car up for sale

  • You will need your ownership documentation at hand.

Here’s what you need to do if you have a buyer

  • The seller must complete the (NCO) form and submit it to their registering authority. Download yellow form
  • The seller must hand over the registration certificate to the buyer. This can be obtained from your nearest licencing office (takes a few days) or if you settled the car with you financing company, they should have/can provide it for you.
  • The buyer must complete the Application for registration and licencing of motor vehicle form (RLV) for submission. Download blue form
  • The buyer must submit the vehicle registration certificate, if the vehicle was registered in South Africa.
  • The buyer of the vehicle must submit the forms at the registering authority within 21 days of buying the vehicle, along with the registration form obtained from the seller and the vehicle must go for a roadworthy test again (it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy).
  • If the vehicle is registered under a company, you must also submit a certificate of incorporation or name change as issued in terms of the Companies Act or a founding statement.
  • The registering authority assesses your application and you must pay the fees as prescribed by your province.
  • If required by the registering authority you will have to provide proof of the right to be registered as the titleholder of the motor vehicle concerned, e.g. an invoice or a sales agreement. If you do not have that, phone your nearest call centre or registering authority to establish whether they accept or require any other document as proof. Download motor vehicle sales agreement South Africa


Motor Vehicle Sales Agreement South Africa
Download here

Notice of change of particulars (NCP) – Red form
Notice of change of particulars (NCP)

Application for registration and licensing (RLV) – Blue form
Application for registration and licensing (RLV)

Notice of change of ownership/Sale of motor vehicle (NCO) – Yellow form
Notice of change of ownership/Sale of motor vehicle (NCO)

Notice in respect of traffic register number (ANR)
Notice in respect of traffic register number (ANR)

This article was written by Francois View Profile
Hi. I'm currently 31 years old and I'm a full time Front-End Web Developer. I love cats and I love life.... sometimes. I created this blog when I was figuring out how Wordpress works and it eventually started to get a whole lot of traffic. I'm now trying to help fellow South Africans with general how to stuff for example how to renew your car license disc and also reviews like restaurants etc. I haven't done much yet but I will soon start to do more and more. I will try to write as many blog posts as I can. I hope you enjoy this blog and don't forget to leave a comment. Oh and you're welcome to write a guest post or review. Just click on Write Guest Post on the top main menu.
Twitter | Facebook

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 × 2 =